Sunday, February 7, 2010

Can I sue a collection agency for the violation of sending me false court documents?

I recently had a collection agency send me a document that looked like official court papers summoning me to a pre-trial hearing(even had an attorneys name and signature upon the document). When I called the court house clerk I discovered there was no such case number with my name on it , but the case number was from another closed case from the past. There were a number of discrepencies upon further investigation.





Can this be made into a case where I sue the collection agency, or does this only become a ';complaint case'; with the WA. State attorney general?





My financial advisor has suggested that this could be a case where I could sue their hynie off and I could ';own a collection agency'; (not that I want to-but I have been harassed and misled by this collections agencies tactics).





If a court case would happen, how do the damages/settlement get determined?





What kind of attorney would I seek for a consultation?Can I sue a collection agency for the violation of sending me false court documents?
Your financial advisor is right, it is against The Federal Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA). A debt collector may not use deception when trying to collect a debt. This includes deceptions like the following:





Send you anything that looks like an official document from a court or government agency when it is not.





You have the right to sue a debt collector within one year from the date you believe the law was violated.





Hope this helps!Can I sue a collection agency for the violation of sending me false court documents?
this might be a violation of the fair debt collection practices act. but you're not likely to ';own the agency'; or get rich even if you win because the FDCPA sets damages fairly low. You could try finding a lawyer to represent you here:


http://www.naca.net/


but I would suggest your main focus should be resolving whatever issue is causing this bozo to contact you, and then moving on.
You can sue them if you can identify them (many collection agencies have sketchy identifying info). They broke the law, so you can sue them for punitive damages. It's a shady world, so you may end up suing the company that hired them (your original creditor).
I would report this nonsense to the Federal Trade Commission
yes i dont ever say this but please sue thier butts off and put them out of business if not for you for the rest of us and take the money and run
Yes. Any lawyer will do, that should be an easy case.

No comments:

Post a Comment